260 years old!
On February 6, 1764, the HGB was founded as an academy for drawing, painting and architecture. Alongside the director Adam Friedrich Oeser, the artists Carl Leberecht Crusius and Christian Gottlieb Geyser taught. The architect Paul Habersang headed the building department. Oeser began teaching drawing with 23 pupils in his private apartment in Petersstraße, after which he had rooms in the electoral office building on the corner of Klostergasse/Thomaskirchhof. From Easter 1765, the academy was located in the west wing of Pleißenburg Castle, and in 1890 it was given a new building at Wächterstraße 11.