The "Meisterschüler" program expends and deepens the artistic-practical and artistic-theoretical abilities and skills and provides support for the development of artistic projects. Goal of the studies is to attain the title "Meisterschüler*in" (master pupil). The studies are, in general, completed with the "Meisterschüler" exam at the end of the 4th semester of studies.
Prerequisite for the acceptance into the "Meisterschüler" programme is an exceptional or good profession qualifying degree in the same or a similar field. Admission requirement is a Diplom or Master in an artistic-practical degree course from a college of art or a university. Holders of a Bachelor or an equivalent degree in Visual Arts/Graphic Design, can be admitted if they have achieved a total of 240 ECTS points (European Credit Transfer System) during their course, or, if they have studied for at least eight terms (4 years).
Admission to the program is possible only in the winter semester. Application material has to be received from April 1st to August 10th. Based on this application material the "Meisterschüler" committee of the Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig decides on acceptance and matriculation into the "Meisterschüler" programme. The dates are legally binding. Applications received after August 10th can not be taken into consideration.
Details on the regulations of the admission - and matriculation procedures at the Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig are available here (only german version available). The application form can be downloaded here (only german version available).
The application must include the following materials: (A final decision without these materials is not possible.)
- a written confirmation of support from a mentor of the Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig for the "Meisterschüler" programme named in the list below,
- a portfolio with pertinent work examples
- an expose describing artistic projects intended for the "Meisterschüler" programme
- a resume in tabular form, including the essential information on education and artistic activities
- complete certified copies of the transcripts for qualification for admission to a higher education or final degree/school leaving certificate
- a certified copy of the first profession qualifying degree
- 1 passport photography
International applicants from countries where German is not official language have to proof the required command of German by presenting one of the following
- "Goethe-Zertifikat B1: Zertifikat Deutsch" or
- "Goethe-Zertifikat B1: Zertifikat Deutsch für Jugendliche" or
- "Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Stufe I".
Alternatively German language skills on A1 level combined with English language skills on B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages is accepted.
Applicants with one of the following certificates do not have to proof further skills of German language:
- "Prüfung zum Nachweis deutscher Sprachkenntnisse" (PndS) or
- "Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung" (ZOP)" from the Goethe-Institute or
- "Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom" or "Kleines Deutsche Sprachdiplom" from the Goethe-Institute or
- "Deutsches Sprachdiplom (Stufe II)" from the "Kultusministerkonferenz" (DSD II).
List of mentors
|Book design/Graphic design||Prof. Rayan Abdullah||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Maureen Mooren||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Markus Dreßenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Thomas Matthaeus Müller||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Fred Smeijers/
Prof. Stephan Müller
|Media Art||Prof. Joachim Blank||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Alba D'Urbano
|Prof. Fabian Hesse||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Christin Lahr||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Helmut Mark||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Clemens von Wedemeyer||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Mitra Wakilemail@example.com|
|Painting/Printmaking||Prof. Oliver Kossack||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Ingo Meller||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Michael Riedel||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Christoph Ruckhäberle||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Annette Schröter||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Photography||Prof. Tina Bara||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Joachim Brohm||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Heidi Specker||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Torsten Hattenkerl||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Annette Kisling||- email@example.com|
The academy charges no tuition. Every semester, students need to pay a fee to the student services Studentenwerk Leipzig (currently EUR 201.50 per semester) and to the students council (EUR 5.00 per semester).
A selection of services provided by the Studentenwerk Leipzig:
- MDV semester ticket for local and regional public transport
- Meals at refectories and cafeterias
- Student housing
- Educational grants in accordance with the BAföG (German Federal Law on Support in Education)
- Consultation and mediator services (advice on degree financing, social counselling, psychological consultation, legal advice)
- Student loan office
- Employment service
- Service package for international students