The Academy of Transcultural Exchange is an academic programme to refugees. By welcoming refugees, the HGB also effectively seizes the opportunity to foster cross-cultural diversity within the institution, to further develop a welcoming culture for foreign students and staff, thus pushing the internationalisation process forward. Within the framework of the ATA programme, which is limited to up to four semesters, refugees are offered the opportunity to prepare for a regular course of study in one of the four diploma degree programmes at the HGB Leipzig. The programme students have the opportunity to earn credits that can be credited to a later course of study at the HGB Leipzig or, after completion of the programme, can lead to enrole in a higher semester.
The Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig is partially financed by public funds allocated by the members of the Saxon State Parliament.
Admission to the AtA is possible after passing an examination during an introductory week and presenting proof of residence (see point 3).
The application period for the winter term 2023/2024 starts on March 1, 2023 and ends on May 31, 2023.The following documents are necessary for the application:
1. short cover letter in German or English
- with request of the field of study
- with information about the level of German language skills
- with information about previous education and artistic activities
2. a selection of a maximum of 5 study-related or field of study-related artistic and design work samples (or link to portfolio, e.g. on Instagram or own homepage) and – if available – proof of art and/or design studies started in the country of origin
3. proof of residence:
- positive residence permit from the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF),
- scan of the ID card if available, or
- proof of an ongoing asylum procedure, or
- proof that you are eligible for temporary protection (§ 24 AufenthG) according to EU Directive 2001/55/EC,
- scan of ID card if applicable.
4. if the intention is to change to the regular diploma study after the study of the AtA, the proof of the university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur certificate) or a proof of the admission to a previous study is required.Procedure of the application process
- You send your application documents at the latest by May 31, 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The application documents will be checked formally and for artistic suitability.
- If the result is positive, you will be invited to participate in the artistic examination on June 19 – 23, 2023. In case of a negative result, you will receive a written rejection.
- After passing examination, participants will receive a written notification of the admission.
- In case of a positive result (admission) you can enroll at the HGB.
Applications & Questions to: email@example.com
The programme is limited to a maximum of four semesters. After finishing this programme, students can enrol in a Diploma degree programme, if they have reached the required language proficiency and artistic maturity. Students can obtain a Diploma degree in one of the specialist classes. The ATA (Academy for transcultural exchange) programme does not result in a degree, but the modules completed will be credited, when the students enrol afterwards in a Diploma degree programme at the HGB Leipzig (Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig).
The application form for admission to a more advanced semester (no online application procedure) can be downloaded as a PDF document and needs to be submitted by
- 31 May for admission to the following winter semester
- 30 November for admission to the following summer semester
Applications submitted after these deadlines cannot be considered for admission to the following semester.
The application must include the following documents, without the documents an admission is not possible:
- a selection of degree course-related / subject-related art and design samples
- letter of motivation including the intended specialist class and the semester you want to join
- CV with essential information about previous education and artistic activities
- complete and authorised transcript of your university entrance qualification / graduation certificate / final school report
- Complete proof of credits you already obtained and certificates of exams you took before
- a photo of yourself (attached to the application)
- proof of language poficiency in German by one of the following certificates:
- “Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang” (DSH)
- “Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache” (TestDaF) achieving at least level 3 in all parts of the test
- “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule”
- “Prüfungsteil Deutsch” as part of a preparation course
Proof of language proficiency is not required for:
- international applicants who are German native speakers
- applicants who acquired their university admission certificate (Abitur, completed professional education, completed degree course) at a German-speaking institution,
- applicants who got the certificate of the Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Level II (DSD II);
- applicants who got the certificate of the Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP) issued by the Goethe-Institut or an institution commissioned by the Goethe-Institut
- applicants who got the certificate of the Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (level C2) or Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (level C1) issued by the Goethe-Institut.
Contact list ATA commission
|Teaching||J.-Prof. Dr. Katrin Köppert (chairperson)||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Christoph Feist (deputy)||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Markus Dreßen (Book design/Graphic design)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Kerstin Drechsel (Painting/Printmaking)||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Annette Kisling (Photography)||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Carsten Benger (Photography)||- email@example.com|
|Prof. Isabel Lewis (Media Art)||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Carsten Möller (Media Art)||- email@example.com|
|Finances||Prof. Jörg Ernertfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|AtA coordinator||Dhia Ben Hamda||- email@example.com|
|Social Counselling||Franziska Hülßfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Language teacher||Alexander Bernhardt, email@example.com|
|Christian Hoppe, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Academic advising||Roswita Harmelemail@example.com|
|Student council||Hammam Alawamfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Student council AtA||Alejandro Leonardo Marquez Gomezemail@example.com|
|Public relations||Meike Giebeler, advisory||- firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Book Design/Graphic Design||Prof. Markus Dreßenemail@example.com|
|Painting/Printmaking||Prof. Jörg Ernertfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Media Art||Carsten Möller||- email@example.com|
|Theory||J.-Prof. Dr. Katrin Köppertfirstname.lastname@example.org|